The Museum of Contemporary Art Toronto is at the heart of the art ecosystem. MOCA will be ambitiously inclusive, interdisciplinary, and internationally renowned through our work with artists and a place for everyone to explore, provoke ideas, and challenge the current cultural moment.
We intend to achieve this vision through our mission:
- To present rotating exhibitions and programmes that prioritize twenty-first-century artistic production, primarily through the commissioning of new work
- To foster active dialogue and participation, celebrate complexity, and serve as an inclusive cultural hub in a hyper-diverse city and world.
Our values guide our work:
- Equitable, inclusive, and accessible
- Artist-centred, interdisciplinary, and process-oriented
- Critical and transformative
- Reciprocal and relationship-based
- Locally rooted and globally connected
- Courageous and responsible
MOCA has been actively adapting to the evolving situation regarding COVID-19 and will continue to do so, ensuring staff and visitor safety and striving to maintain a supportive work environment.
Posted on: June 27, 2023
Closing on: Open until filled
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Casual, part-time
Report to: Exhibition and Installation Manager
Hourly Rate: $31.00 plus 4% vacation and 4.5% pay in lieu of benefits
Benefits: Attractions Ontario and Toronto Attractions Council Reciprocal Benefits
The Preparator will support and work closely with the Exhibition Design and Production Manager on all aspects of exhibition installation. The position will be on a casual, part-time basis, dependent on exhibition needs and timelines.
- Support Exhibition Design and Production Manager in all areas of exhibition installation
- Assist with unpacking/packing artworks and installations at highest possible museum standards
- Assist with construction and build aspects related to exhibition preparation
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum two years of experience with exhibition installation at a museum, gallery or cultural institution
- Broad knowledge of museum standards for exhibition installation
- Understand aspects of art handling and fabrication to ensure safe and efficient installation
- Ability to physically lift/move artworks
- Solid understanding of installation methods, including technical knowledge with regard to the display of moving image works
- Experience in wall construction and painting; experience in cabinet making is an asset
- Experience with power tools and power tool safety
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- High attention to detail and ability to follow detailed instructions is essential
- Open attitude and enthusiasm for problem solving; good communication
- Must be willing and capable to work on a flexible schedule
Equity and Diversity
MOCA Toronto advocates equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and is committed to diversity in the workplace.
We are committed to ensuring that MOCA Toronto is an inclusive space where community members are treated with respect and dignity. MOCA Toronto encourages applications from everyone, including but not limited to women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities.