MOCA is motivated by our belief that museums can be culturally and socially useful. We promote exceptional artistic thinking and provide a community space for discourse and creativity.
Working across all contemporary art forms, we empower the local Toronto art scene, while informing the international. MOCA is an accessible, welcoming hub rooted and engaged in a culturally rich neighbourhood; it is here, through art, that you can feel the specialness of this invigorating and hyper-diverse city.
Location: Toronto, ON
Closing Date: July 25, 2021
Start Date: August 16, 2021
Employment Type: Part-time casual
Hourly Rate: $27
The Preparator will support and work closely with the Exhibition Design and Production Manager on all aspects of exhibition installation. The position will be on a casual, part-time basis, dependent on exhibition needs and timelines.
- Support Exhibition Design and Production Manager in all areas of exhibition installation
Assist with unpacking/packing artworks and installations at the highest possible museum standards
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum two years of experience with exhibition installation at a museum, gallery, or cultural institution
- Broad knowledge of museum standards for exhibition installation
- Understand aspects of art handling and fabrication to ensure safe and efficient installation
- Ability to physically lift/move artworks
- Solid understanding of installation methods, including technical knowledge with regards to the display of moving image works
- Experience in wall construction and painting; experience in cabinet making is an asset
- Experience with power tools and power tool safety
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- High attention to detail and ability to follow detailed instructions is essential
- Open attitude and enthusiasm for problem solving
- Good communication
- Must be willing and capable to work on a flexible schedule
Equity and Diversity
MOCA Toronto advocates equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and is committed to diversity in the workplace.
MOCA Toronto is committed to ensuring that MOCA Toronto is an inclusive space where community members are treated with respect and dignity. MOCA Toronto encourages applications from everyone, including but not limited to women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
How to Apply
Please apply by submitting your application through this application form. Due to our limited resources, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.